Saturday, December 09, 2006

Sitting in Traffic

A few days ago I hopped in my car and went out for a sandwich. It was 2 in the afternoon and the weather was just great. I only had 2 blocks to go, and one traffic light. It should be no problem, but guess again.

Getting through that traffic light took 3 light cycles. No problem for me since I was in no rush. I let one woman enter traffic from the right, got a smile from her and an angry honk from the man in the car behind me. No problem for me because I was in no rush and it still took another light cycle before I was at the light. I wonder if my doing some neck rotations while sitting there got him even more angry - he thinking that I might miss a possibility to "move like lightening" if the 15 cars in front of me should somehow magically disappear. The poor sucker, doesn't he know that time pressure kills - slowly?

While I was waiting for my sandwich I watched all the traffic on the major roadway. It was endless. I felt there was some insight which wanted to happen. What came to me was that it would have made much more sense to have walked rather than ridden. My feet, eyes, heart, muscles, my everything would have had more enjoyment had I walked. The problem, and it is a problem, is that even for short distances it is as if we don't even consider using the doggies for transportation any more.

It must surely be a conditioning thing. The hidden expectation is that if we ride, we will be more comfortable. We will save time. We will be protected from "the elements." We will be seen by others riding in a powerful, sexy, well polished car which is not impeded by traffic, and if perchance we stop at a traffic light a stunningly beautiful or handsome member of the opposite sex will admire us. Oh my, what a crock of baloney!

In this instance, for a short "trip," I was comfortable in my car, but not more comfortable than if I had had a leisurely walk. I didn't save any time. And like I wanted to be separated from a beautiful day?

I think it's a conditioning thing and as with all conditioning, it becomes habit and one of the prime characteristics of habit is that, after a while, it is automatic and does not require thinking to intervene. It gives a certain speed and efficiency, but at what cost? At the cost of being alive and conscious and, yes, free. We think we are free because of our cars. There is some truth to that. But on the other hand, what I observe is that most people are captive to their daily "trips." Where is the freedom in that?

I am not yet ready to be car-free, but I do wonder about what it would be like if my wife and I shifted from 2 cars to one. Perhaps 1 car and a bike. Perhaps this spring. Yes, that will be good and it will bring me a step closer towards a further goal I have of being "cage free and free to roam." Why should the chickens have all the fun?

(Addendum - 12/12/06) Another beautiful day today with just a touch of chill in the air. Walked for my sandwich today. Smiled all the way!

3 comments:

Kristen S. Boyesen said...

You have come to a very good conclusion. A two-block walk is much more fun than a two-block drive ... especially in the snow and cold.

Why? Because walking warms you up. It takes the car longer than two blocks to give heater-warmth. Meanwhile you sit there unmoving shivering to death.

Walking short distances instead of driving also conserves fuel for more essential needs.

Tim Hodgens said...

Kristen - you're right about the heater taking time to warm up the car on the cold days...for short distances, it makes more sense to walk...yet again another reason to park the car and use doggie-driven 2-piston locomotion.

Proxima - I guess we can call that "power walking!"

Emme said...

This summer I decided to only walk to the grocery store. I managed to do it everyday until about 8 weeks ago (when my son was born). I have to say that walking was great. I would only purchase what I could carry (or put into a stroller). I would really think about whether I needed to shop or wanted to.

In addition, I received health benefits of a very easy labor and fast weight loss! Making it into a habit takes 30 days. We are more aware of what we are doing and are more in touch with our bodies.

I look forward to hearing about your excursion from 2 cars to 1!