Sunday, December 31, 2006

End Of Year Review...A Few Thoughts

I've had a good year and I feel sorrow that it is ending.

Big on my list for this year was starting this blog and entering the world of blogging. As the slogan on Technorati.com says, "55 million blogs...some of them have to be good," and it has been my good fortune to have come across a number of them already. I have started leaving comments on a number of blogs and in the coming year I hope to continue visiting people in my new neo-community. I hope that others also find my postings interesting and worthwhile.

OK, now here are some of my first thoughts from this past year. I'm happy to say that I've been implementing these and not just "jawing" about them - but there is much room for improvement. Yes, it's all about on-the-job training.

Most important preserve your health - walk, eat better food and minimize junk food, get enough sleep, manage your stress levels well

Know what you're eating

Turn off the TV

Work less at work

Love what is

Every day cultivate a sense of appreciation

Start each day with a walk followed by meditation

Stay present for longer periods of time

Be aware of the dance that in continuing and evolving around you

Choose joy

Use peace of mind as a compass reading

Appreciate the present abundance

Be aware of how most of the comforts of our society weaken us

Pay down all debt

Have a kitchen garden and grow as much as you can (this is way up on my list for next year - a totally new endeavor for me)

Accept uncertainty as a fact of life

It's all about energy

Nothing goes in a straight line for long

Consume less

With dependencies, proactively go through withdrawal

Develop mental toughness

Laugh more

Learn skills that will stand you well in arduous times

Be useful

Compass readings are generally more valuable for me than specifics

I will rush no more!

Happy New Year, and let's do our part to make the world a better place.

Tim

7 comments:

Charles said...

Cheers. I enjoy the insights. Pats, Seahawks, SuperBowl XLI ?

Tim Hodgens said...

Charles,

Thanks for coming by and commenting and appreciating my "insights."

Re the superbowl...it would be great for the Pats to win another ring.

Proxima,

Thanks for adding your post on your site. I stopped by alread and will make more comments later after I get back from my visit to Vermont.

Tim

arcolaura said...

Tim - I've been skimming (rushing??) back over some of your older posts (and feeling overwhelmed with all the stuff to read out on the 'Net), and I got to wondering - have you discovered Eleutheros?

I think the thing that brought it to mind was your discussion of Kunstler and peak oil, and how far our food travels. Eleutheros had a post awhile ago about how the fertilizer for our modern abundance of food is made using natural gas, and therefore likely to become scarce shortly after cheap oil becomes history. Eleutheros paints a bleak picture sometimes, but as you say, it's best to get the blinders off now.

He has a garden blog and a food blog, too, linked from his main one.

Tim Hodgens said...

Proxima,

I'm back and ready to go. After this comment I'm going first to your blog and am looking forward to reading more carefully your very personal and honest posting.

Arcolaura,

Thanks for your comments. I followed up and took a quick look at the website you mentioned. First impressions: he writes very well and addresses important and pressing issues; 2nd, if he's got a good voice and a publicist, he's got a career in Nashville waiting for him if he uses that photo of himself.

I am also looking forward to looking more carefully at your latest posting on toughness and resilience.

Tim

Kristen said...

Hi, Tim. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Glad you like my artwork! I will post more now that I am home from a three-week visit to Florida to see family. I have family in Vermont, too!

I love your insights for the New Year, and will be working on many of the same ones myself. ...Actually, working isn't quite the right word. Once one begins such a process of change, it no longer becomes 'work', but is a joy. The work is in the determination to begin at all!

I have a lot of catching up to do, and new beginnings to launch. I hope to read more of your recent posts in the near future and to follow through with some of your commenters. It is great how like minds from all over the world can connect by blogging. (The goal will be to increase the peaceful connections ...)

Steve Williams said...

Tim: The list is thought provoking for me. Many things have been on mine for a long time and while I don't jawbone aobut them (most of the time) I don't maintain attention for long either. I'm going to print it out so I can look at it routinely. Thanks for posting and for your fine blog.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Tim Hodgens said...

Steve: Thanks for stopping by and for your encouraging words. Considering the high quality of your blog I take them as high praise.

I also use the practise of posting sayings and such in parts of my home, in my books, in my pockets, etc., and then when I come across them again it's like a message from myself to myself across time, sort of like a message in a bottle discovered on a beach.

I looked at your blog again this morning and look forward to reading several entries in the next few days. I looked at the video about Deer and motorcycles. It is a gem.

Maybe someone could rent space on television, and have brief movies like that played once or twice a day, and then when it is over, just have some pleasing music play for the rest of the time.