Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Seemingly Quiet Pause

I haven't posted anything for several days partly because of the Holidays and, well frankly, I've been indulging in some laziness.

But there's a further reality here and that is that there is so much I want to express, and the topics are so important, that I am having difficulty choosing which ones to go with first.

A peek into the queue in my mind:

Reactions and thoughts about the video "the Future of Food." The implications for going towards an organic diet become more and more important. Kitchen gardens will similarly become more important for self-sustainability and health and well-being.

Questions about the peak debt and peak oil. Along this line I have been reading a blog: SuddenDebt and anyone who is thinking about the financial picture of the U.S. and the world would do well to take a look and give some thought to what is presented there. By the way, I left several comments on that site as: SimplyTim

Along the line of "waking up" and "elevator pitches" I have been wondering if large numbers of people are simply in trance states, and if that is accurate how that comes about and what people can do to come out of that state. (One definite hunch that I have is that television may be one of the major portals both into, and out of, those states.)

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very interesting "awakening" series: 1) a mantra, 2) Dim Sun, 3)Peak Oil 4)Looking for Mr. Elevator Pitch.

Is you mantra ("rush no more") related to pledging for a college fraternity? rushing in hour morning traffic runs to work? or a disavowal of the Limbaugh guy? I guess it is ambiguous enough to cover all 3 and more. i.e. getting a rush from some sort of addiction, like being addicted to oil, or to MSM, or to ... :-)

Tim Hodgens said...

Stepback,

My mantra is "I will rush no more!"

To me the "I will" and the "!" are all essential parts of the mantra. Others make little changes in it but to me it works best as a whole and unchanged.

I talk a little bit about the origin of the mantra in my very first entry on this blog, October 21st, I think.

It really was as simple as that. I knew it had a play on the word rush as in a rush of adrenaline, but I was really going after the rushing which is consuming our society.

The rushing becomes a goal in itself, it keeps us uncentered, it keeps us on the gerbil treadmill of making money and consuming in order to fill the holes in our lives.

It hasn't worked. It isn't working. It will never work as a lifestyle except for very brief periods of time. It just perpetuates us in the service of faster and harder.

I much prefer slower and softer.

The man whose first name is Rush is off my radar unless someone mentions his name. I've listened to his program two or three times. It seems be be mostly made up of consternation and anger. I wonder if that's why he needed pain killers.

Tim Hodgens said...

Proxima,

Welcome back to you too!

Hmmm, my brain is empty and yet I know it's full. Maybe that's the yin and the yang of it.

I think it was John D. Rockefeller who told (some of) his workers, "put your feet up on your desk, put your hands behind your head and look out the window. You can't come up with new ideas until you put down the routine."

I'd still like to hear more about your impressions of what it was like in Seattle during the storm recently, and how things changed sudddenly and how people rose or sank to the occasion.

Tim