Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Talk About Evaporation!

In my previous post I was talking about water and evaporation and impermanence and change; one exit script from the fabled land of Shangri La. And at the end I was going to shift from water to oil. I thought it would be a clever transition for the end of the post. But it was not to be since most of what I wrote at the end was lost to the etherspace. Drat.

Then today in the Boston Globe there was another kind of evaporation that hints at a further exit path from Shangri La.

To quote: "Bear Stearns Cos. told clients that a melt-down in the subprime mortgage market has made the assets of two of its flagship hedge funds almost worthless. The assets in one of the funds are essentially worthless, while another is worth 9 percent of its value at the end of April, according to a document obtained by the Associated Press. In March, the High-Grade Structured Credit Enhanced Leveraged fund was worth about $638 million - and now has no value. The larger and less-leveraged High-Grade structured Credit fund lost 91 percent of its value. It was worth about $925 million in March."

Talk about evaporation of (imagined) liquid assets!

To paraphrase Tip O'Neil: "A billion here and a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money."

Sigh...

(For further and more technical / detailed elaborations of this development and implications you can look at recent entries at Sudden Debt and Generational Dynamics.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like my state a lot, but it does have its drawbacks like any other. My new job is with the City, which feeds our retirement plans into the States retirement plan. The state retirement plan has forced all of us into a new program where our Retirement benefits and now our social security as well is all tied to the stock market.

I don't like this. I'm young when in comes to worrying about retirement bennies, but if things collapse on the stock market, over a hundred thousand WA state employees could be without our benefits.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I have a desperate desire to squirrel away money in case they lose me my retirement fund. The matteress is inefficient, but maybe a nice fire-proof safe deposit box at a bank somewhere. You know, just in case.

Theres a bunch of shysters running the stock market. I don't trust 'em

-P