Friday, January 11, 2008

Waking Up Falling Asleep Waking Up Falling Asleep

I was going to title this post: Mindfulness and Scatteredness, but a piece of a dream pushed it in a different direction.

Assembling the ingredients.

Ingredient #1: - a conversation with my Saturday morning friend, Ted. We were talking about how people find purpose in life, and then it shifted to one of his favorite topics - propaganda and how to help people to wake up to how they are being manipulated and then having done that, what to do about it.

He talked about doing a workshop or writing an op-ed piece. I suggested writing an essay in the style of Wendell Berry, one of his favorite authors. I talked about how if someone could organize 5 or 10 people who would all agree to write 3 articles for newspapers or give a workshop or two over the next two years, about how they have started to choose a life more based on values and relationship and quality of life rather than scurrying around and always trying to make a few bucks more to feed the consumerist addiction, that the potential impact for a community may be palpable. The stories would not be diatribes against the system but rather testimonies to a certain waking up and how the transitioning was taking place in their lives and what it looked like. (Let this ingredient sit in the background quietly percolating...)

Ingredient #2: Just before giftmas I took a questionairre which was part of a doctoral dissertation for the daughter of a friend of mine. I was happy to help out and the topic of mindfulness helped to increase my motivation to do it.

The survey took a total of about 15 minutes; as it turns out, a pleasant 15 minutes. The questions basically set the stage by asking if I, and the other participants practise any form of mindfulness meditation. Then it went on to ask a series of questions about daily experiences, mundane experiences, and the level of awareness and presence you experience during those times in a progression from never / sometimes / frequently / almost always type of progression.

For me it was like taking a test and finding out what your grade was right on the spot (although you didn't actually get a grade). The "test" was a reflection of how much the practise of mindfulness has generalized and migrated from periods of meditation to your day to day life.

Well an interesting thing happened. The experience of taking the survey "jolted me" in a very positive way. It "operationalized" mindfulness in very concrete terms and brought it to a position of immediacy in my day to day life - or at least in parts of it. Mind you I knew all of this before, and had experienced it times before, but this seemed more immediate. It was like it gave me ideas as to how to put it into effect more often.

The effect was to mobilize me to practising being present and alive, in my daily routines and actions and experiences. Being on vacation certainly made it more easy to be present, etc., but even after I returned to my office I found my ability to maintain it fairly easy. The experience of mindfulness is generally comfortable and as such it has a way of drawing you further into the practise. (Let this indredient quietly do its work of suffusing your environment over a period of a week or so.)

Ingredient #3: A dream fragment. I had a dream a few nights ago. In it several things happened and in one part there was a conversation going on between another man and myself. It was like we were both trying to size up each other, but I had the feeling that he knew something significant that I didn't know, and there was a recollection later that the conversation was around a person's purpose or "mission." There were a few other developments in the dream, and then it ended.

When I got up and started my day I had the good fortune to remember parts of the dream and also to know that there was something in this one which was trying to tell me something and I would do well to not too easily discard it. I set the intent of recalling more of the dream, and bits and pieces of it came back to me over the next several minutes.

The most interesting part was when I recalled that the other man said: "the real question is whether you can stay awake." And then I said to myself: "wow!"

I would have thought that a better question would have been: "once having awakened and then finding that you have fallen back to sleep again, how can you help yourself to wake up again?" But they are probably both equally important questions. (Let that ingredient act as a quickening agent.)

So here I am, on a roll. I've been thinking about "mission," caught on to an operationalization of mindfulness in day to day life, and have a question posed to me in a dream. As I like to say: "neat!"

What to do?

What came to me was to set in motion a practise which would address both questions, i.e., if I "fall asleep" (i.e., go on automatic pilot, go into trance, get caught in the web of mindlessness as manifested by all the addictions, and unthinking consumerism, multitasking, not paying attention, etc.), what can I do to "come to my senses," and if I am being mindful, attention, aware, awake, what can I get in the habit of doing to keep the pattern going. It's like a flywheel process; it takes a fair amount of energy / effort to getting it going, but the more it gains momentum, then the less effort is required to keep it going.

So I've been working with the following process which for lack of a better term I will call Mindfulness Minutes.

Here's the process in some detail and in an approximate sequence. But remember that this is simply an outline which can create an experience of mindfulness. Once you have practised it 5 or 10 or 150 or 1500 times it will become second nature and then you can invent and explore your own pathways and explorations to keep the flywheel of mindfulness going across time and across situations.

1. Set the intent to do it.
2. It may be helpful in the beginning to say: "this is a good time to take a break."
3. Clear a "space" so you can shift gears into being more aware and present. Typically the universal way of doing that is to bring your attention to your breath. Watch your breath; really become aware of it.
4. There is no effort to change anything about your breathing. It may want to spontaneously shift, and if so, bring mindful awareness to that, and let it happen - or not; either way be aware of the experience. Keep it fresh.
5. Whatever you become aware of bring your awareness to it. The second learned reflex during the mindfulness minutes is to not make any judgements about what you are aware of or experiencing. The strategy is one of watching and being aware without the need to label and differentiate. Even when you notice events being judged, evaluated, sliced and diced into favorite or unusual categories, "simply" let mindfulness be aware of the process without judging, labeling and differentiating.
6. You will probably become aware of events in your mind (images, thoughts, conversations) and your body (sensations, feelilngs) or in your environment. In every instance let yourself become aware of what is presently in, or coming into, your awareness. Let it be. Any effort to bring it forth or to push it away is not part of this exercise - except as, yet again, another opportunity to let mindfulness "be and do" its thing.
7. As you become aware of something, notice it, and let it go. It's like you are encouraging impermanance.
8. The "letting go" is without effort. The easiest way I have found to do this is to both bring attention to the event in experience and let the awareness bring you further into the experience and if you are not trying to hold on to it, it will naturally morph across time. Or, when you notice the sensation or the image, notice it and then on your exhale let your mindful attention go to the experience of exhaling.
9. Do this for a few minutes and then move back into whatever you had been doing or whatever the next thing is that you want to do.
10. Now that you have set the intent to do it, and have practised it, the next step is to set up some sort of feedback loop that reminds you at random times throughout the day to take that break. Whenever I walk in a particular corridor I take it as a cue to practise. I have done it when I walk through a door way, i.e., I take that as a reminder of the opportunity. I take a cue from a muscle in my neck; it it gets too tight, I use it as a reminder. The best is to come up with your own.

There is lots and lots more to this, but this is basic introduction that can get you started. Reading this may make it sound complicated, but it isn't. Just do it, or don't. If you do it, be aware not only of what you experience during the mindful minutes, but also what impact it has on you across time.

I would love to hear your comments about this.

25 comments:

arcolaura said...

I arrived at this post in a tangle of self-induced conflictedness. The immediate conflict was around whether I should be looking at others' writing when my mind was already churning with stuff to sort out. The larger conflict was summed up by the daydream I had just been playing in my head and even partly out loud to my empty house. In this daydream I slip away from a New Age conference to struggle privately with the barrage of recent "signs" that seem to say I should go ahead and write the screenplay I've been dreaming up as a way of someday maybe meeting the actor I dream about. Not only meeting him, but having a legitimate reason of my own for being in the same room as him - sort of an equal footing kind of thing. The screenplay story idea itself is sort of a working out of that struggle. And so, in the daydream, I am out on a lovely lonely bit of coastline, shaking my head at the realization of how deeply I want to do this, arguing that it will take years out of my life while there are actual important things to be done, and then perhaps it would come to naught anyway. I ask God "Is this really what I'm supposed to do?"

And the actor walks onto the scene.

And I shout "No, no, NO!" at him.

And he of course needs an explanation for this outburst, and hears my story idea and loves it and offers to help me write it.

OK, OK, I'll spare you any more of that.

But anyway, from all of that, I came here to your blog and your opening recollection of "talking about how people find purpose in life" - and I pricked up my ears. Reading on, I came to your idea of getting people telling stories of how they changed - powerful, community-shifting stories - and I was thinking about my screenplay idea and how it has stuff like that in it, stuff about lifestyle choices and internal conflict over those choices.

And I remembered a lengthy comment I left on someone else's blog recently (you don't mind these lengthy comments, do you?) about the conflict between the lifestyle we consciously would say we want and the one we actually live, and whether our greatest hope lies in finding ways to heal that conflict, that gap, that wound.

Does screenwriting have a part to play in the working out of my purpose, or am I called to something more direct, something more like what I talked about in that comment?

And I read some more, and find you talking about mindfulness, just at a point in my life when I am deep, deep in a great deal of absentmindedness, to the point where I have been scaring myself with my mindless goofs (lost keys, inattentive driving, not knowing what it was that someone just said to me). I think maybe it is a sort of subconscious pushing back against my recent push towards greater mindfulness. I am intensely aware of the contrast between this topic of mindfulness, and my current longing to legitimize my daydreaming habit by turning it into part of the work of screenwriting.

Maybe it could work.

Or maybe this is a grand self delusion, a huge fleeing away from real day-to-day responsibility and hard work and purpose.

I have been reading about screenwriting, and the concept of the Hero's Choice, to satisfy a Desire, or to satisfy a Need.

Which one is which here?
What is my Desire? What is my Need?

Is either one wrong?

Have you ever noticed that "signs" don't seem to have a "sign" to them - no plus sign or minus sign stuck on the front, just the digit by itself that seems to point out some great importance, and yet doesn't point any particular direction to move ahead?

Paul said...

Hopefully, an interesting discussion is beginning!

I like mindfulness. My limited experience attests to the legitimacy and value of it. However, at some partially unconscious level I rebel against it because it's sometimes touted as a miracle cure and it seems to be a fixture attached to life.

Tim, this statement was the one that shone for me: "The "test" was a reflection of how much the practise of mindfulness has generalized and migrated from periods of meditation to your day to day life." That's the heart of my uneasiness about much that I read about mindfulness. It needs to become a natural part of our daily life rather than something we do occasionally as a fix to the stress of life.

Tim Hodgens said...

Hi Laura,

I think I'll make several separate comments to your comment rather than just one big one.

I may have missed this but I wasn't clear if you started by saying that you had just returned from a new-age conference or if you were saying that as part of the daydream you had just returned from a new age conference.

Anyway, it reminded me of a number of such experiences where I would come home from various conferences having learned new things and having had a variety of experiences and I would just be buzzing with energy and excitement.

I came to recognize it as having been inducted into a hypomanic state. I think the basic ingredients were the new material, an openness to novel and intuitive like openings and an encouragement to explore and loosen usual constraints of thought and expression.

Generally it was quite pleasant and eventually it would "quiet down" after a few days. One downside was that it was a downer talking with my wife about those experiences since she hadn't been there and it led to a predictable disconnect for awhile.

Then a few years ago I went to a "free" workshop about money management. I wanted to meet two of the presenters because I had some of their material and was curious to meet the actual person.

A second agenda was to see how they were going to orchestrate pushing my buttons and those of the others there, i.e., how they were going to manipulate us and also get us to buy their products. To do this I knew I had to keep myself out of the "pull."

I learned a lot about that process. It was very effective and very powerful. I saw a number of people walking away from the conference having bought 3 to 8 K worth of (sure fire) money making systems.

What I wasn't ready for was the further impact of what I will call an induction - again into a manic like state. It blew me away because I didn't expect it AND I didn't recognize it till after about 48 hours.

I was very thankful that I left my check book and credit cards home that day.

That's probably off from your comment but it's what came to me first.

Later,

Tim

arcolaura said...

Very interesting. What I have been trying to sort out is how much of myself there is in this whole screenwriting thing, or whether it is entirely something I've been led into, by the actor, by the publicity around him, and by the sales pitch of the screenwriter whose downloadable book I bought. I bought it, but I'm not heavily invested in it - I've already decided my story idea really doesn't fit his formula (in spite of his insistence that one MUST follow his formula, because it works), and in searching further, I found some writing by James Bonnet which led me to his book, "Stealing Fire from the Gods." I am eagerly awaiting its arrival at the library. And I am so thankful for interlibrary loans. My great spending weakness is towards books, but with the library, I can just sidestep all of that.

As for the New Age conference, it was in the daydream, but it is also in real life, upcoming. Not my idea, but very important to Garth. It's an A.R.E. conference at Virginia Beach, most of a continent away - hence more conflictedness...

Anonymous said...

HI,

I heard someone recently say "find your truth and live it...because life is too short."

It is the closet thing I have heard to the best way to live life. The question is "what is your truth" and then asking yourself "are you living your truth?"

I think it is easy not to live your truth as it takes a constant surveying of choices made and actions taken...and I think today's world doesn't lend itself to this lifestyle as we rush, rush rush... To stop and choose each moment is my goal...and perhaps, then I can find my truth.

K

Anonymous said...

The null hypothesis:

What if "mindfulness" is not an act of will and attention, but more an act of "letting go" of the things that would disract us from our own native, pre-ego-existent, greater sense?

What if awakening is not an act of acquisition but of subtraction?

It seems to me sometimes that mindfulness has ... well, it has a mind of its own. That mindfulness is sometimes something that happens when one is busy doing something else and in the process forgetting who they are trying to be?

Lots of mind-twists here aren't there? Its just that the act of desiring mindfulness itself can come from some weird ego infected places that drive various compulsions and delusions.

Here's what this peasant, admittedly undisciplined but spiritually hungry nonetheless has learned about his own subtleties of mindfullness:

To the extent that I can simply "stop the chatter" of mind and ego, and allow a truly empty state to arise, that space seems naturally filled with awareness and mindfulness. If self-conscious of this state, it instantly evaporates. But the glimpse was there and the taste acquired.

I don't have to lust after mindfulness but only allow for the emptiness in which mindfulness naturally arises. All I have to do now is "quieten down" as my old Quaker Friends used to say and let that faithful spirit always present have its own space within me. Just get myself ... my daily, stupid, ego filled self out of the way and something richer always fills the "emptiness".

One cannot go searching for it. One can only "set the table" ... create the space. The guest will come only on its own, and often at surprising times.

Tim Hodgens said...

Laura,

Oh you're such a bad bad girl! You got me hooked into your comment so well that you got me thinking about tons of stuff. Thank you.

Comment 2: I have a question: why did you shout no, no NO when the actor walked on the stage AFTER you asked God a question, i.e., is this what you should do?

And then the actor walked onto the stage...appeared, saying that he loved it and offers to help you write it.

It reminds me of Neal David Walsch's book "Conversations with God."

But sure the spontaneous appearance of that actor has no substantive connection to that 2-bit guy who insists you must follow his system.

Tim Hodgens said...

Laura, comment 3: I like your observation that there are no plus or minus signs on "signs" that we come across. They hint at opportunities but don't actually point.

Interesting how in my dream fragment: "the real question is whether you can stay awake." He doesn't say stay awake. He says it's a real question, The real question.

It got me thinking about your absentmindedness and daydreaming, and my dreaming, about dreaming in general.

I don't think the goal is to literally stay awake. I would argue that to do so may be a mistake, i.e., to always "push towards greater mindfulness." (Micro-breaks are necessary and anything which encourages over focusing or over anything is probably harmful across time.

Perhaps the key to the event of mindfulness is that it can be applied at anytime, and in any set of circumstances - whether waking or "sleeping." Maybe that's why I changed the title to waking up falling asleep waking up falling asleep.

Go to any book on Zen and you will find stories of how the zen student has their breakthrough when they stop trying so hard.

An anecdote: I had been working with a woman who was experiencing surges of anxiety and also what could be called "free-floating anxiety, and who had a particularly active radar system to scan for any changes in her body, which then led to rapid escalation to DefCon3 or 4.

She related a dream to me one day. In the dream she was suddenly aware that her heart was starting to race. She noticed it and said: "Breathing is good." The dream resolved or dissolved.

We both laughed when she told me that because one of the mantras I suggest to people with significant anxiety levels is to remind themselves to say: "breathing is good"

The full statement is: "breathing is good...not perfect, but good."

Tim

Tim Hodgens said...

Laura, Comment 4: I like the image of the wound between the conscious statement of the lifestyle we want and the one we actually live. Yes, a wound, like a knife cut on the skin and where the two parts want to connect up again.

Tim

arcolaura said...

Lots more to think about here, too, Tim - thanks!

I'll be back to comment more, but for now: why did I shout "No, no, NO" at the answer to my question? Well, I shouted laughingly. But for me there is almost always that struggle, that argument with God, or more importantly, with the messenger, trying to be sure I got the message right and to be sure of where it comes from. And in hindsight, I wonder if it actually matters, or if every choice eventually leads to growth up into the light, one way or another.

Tim Hodgens said...

K,

Good to hear from you again.

Re: "I think it is easy not to live your truth as it takes a constant surveying of choices made and actions taken...and I think today's world doesn't lend itself to this lifestyle as we rush, rush rush..."

I am amazed by those who seem to find their path early on in their lives and who build on it. The don't seem to get as distracted.

But maybe and more accurately they manage to come back to their path across time and I presume they come back with "gifts" from their meanderings which then get "fed" back into their path. Like a never ending story.

I like that because it lends itself to continuity and also unexpected explorations.

Tim Hodgens said...

Vinekeeper,

re: "What if "mindfulness" is not an act of will and attention, but more an act of "letting go" of the things that would disract us from our own native, pre-ego-existent, greater sense?"

Could it not be that "mindfulness" is a strategy of mind / consciousness / awareness (yep, it's already getting stickier) which can be applied to whatever it is that comes "to mind" in order to, at one level, "create some room" to not automatically get overinvolved or automatically reactive to whatever is the content of this now perceived "mind content" (which previously may not have been in awareness?

How about that for a sentence?

As such it can be a strategy to examine habitual activities (habit being a shorthand behavioral way of streamlining a series of behaviors such that they don't have to be "labored" over each time and it is all in the service of getting something done and maintaining the presence of the pattern) to both examine the underpinnings of those habits AND to also give the person the opportunity to later decide to either maintain that habit or not.

This was the strategy of a guy who lived a few thousand years ago, who said that to understand something: notice it, note it's effects on you, take it in, notice it's effects on you, examine it, notice it's effects on you, take it apart and at each point in the subtraction process notice it's effects on you, then look at what you then have, then reconstruct it all over again, all the while examining each step / effect, and then you have the option of talking about it with other based on what you have observed and experienced and learned.

That is an interesting process of subraction, is it not?

But it also greatly adds to also.

BUT there is also your point that there is something to be experienced even when all the chatter seems to cease.

AND with that there is no DOING to that, no strategy...no need to change or grasp.

But they there is also that curious place where the act of observing something changes the thing being observed.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Tim

Tim Hodgens said...

Vinekeeper,

Re: "Lots of mind-twists here aren't there? Its just that the act of desiring mindfulness itself can come from some weird ego infected places that drive various compulsions and delusions."

Yes, and YES! The virtual self - "EGO" serves a useful purpose but it can, in its drive to fulfill the first prime directive of all beings - SURVIVE - can be very cunning in its drive to bolster itself both in pleasing and displeasing ways.

Tim

Tim Hodgens said...

Vinekeeper,

Re: "Here's what this peasant, admittedly undisciplined

yeah, sure!

but spiritually hungry nonetheless has learned about his own subtleties of mindfullness:

To the extent that I can simply "stop the chatter" of mind and ego, and allow a truly empty state to arise, that space seems naturally filled with awareness and mindfulness.

perhaps not "to arise," but
comes to the forefront
because the distractions
are let go of

If self-conscious of this state, it instantly evaporates. But the glimpse was there and the taste acquired.

I like that anology

I don't have to lust after mindfulness but only allow for the emptiness in which mindfulness naturally arises.

Perhaps the first
mindfulness is the letting
go of the chatter, and the
second mindfulness is the
further sense of beyond
all the chatter which can
appreciated for what it is
or isn't but there I go
again with all the naming
and categorizing again...

All I have to do now is "quieten down" as my old Quaker Friends used to say and let that faithful spirit always present have its own space within me. Just get myself ... my daily, stupid, ego filled self out of the way and something richer always fills the "emptiness".

One cannot go searching for it. One can only "set the table" ... create the space. The guest will come only on its own, and often at surprising times."

So well said.

Tim

Anonymous said...

"K" asks ... "are we living our truth"

This reminds me of the trap we all tend to step in when we set about to make a living and a career before we set about simply making a life.

"Do what you love, the money will follow"? I see so many minds eager to take on their place in the cultural space without any idea of what their truth may be. They grasp for a common life and let that "other stuff" (i.e., awareness, truth, mission and calling) sort of fit around my working life. Spare time stuff, maybe.

Knowing one's truth and then acting within that truth seems to have fairly little to do with making an economic living. It is knowing your mission and your calling ... and that truth and knowing in itself become the mechanism for growth of awareness.

If we are in our truth, and in the knowing of our truth, then "awareness" is everywhere and always present at the question. "What is my truth, and am I living it?"

Sounds easy enough. Know thyself, and to that self be true?

I'm also impressed that my own path has seemed to require large spaces and access to the natural world. The environment has been a powerful source of contact, reminder, and regeneration.

Here's the subtraction again. I don't necessarily lose my awareness in rushed urban and suburban setting. But there is within me an immediate longing to be in quiet spaces with few people.

Is there a therapeutic effect in nature? Negative ions, maybe?

For me, coming to the truth that I could find consistently only through close work with living biological communities meant simply following my bliss. Go where my heart is and listen. Listen like a child, truly empty and open to awe.

Tim, I savor your question ...

"How to help people to wake up to how they're being manipulated and then, having awakened them, what to do about it?"

People may be about to wake up (let's pretend for just now). What WOULD one do about it if they did?

OK ... people are awake. NOW what?

Tim Hodgens said...

Paul,

Ugh! I don't know what happened to an earlier response I made to your comment...I guess I pushed the wrong button again!

I don't think I can reconstruct it again but it included a rather long rant (very witty and clever mind you) about the marketing of mindfulness and how if the pharmaceutical companies ever get their hands on the the biochemical precursors of a mindfulness and uncluttered, etc., mind they will salivate so much they will all be stricken with hypersahlorria (I think I misspelled that big time, but it means drooling all over the place - gallons of drooling) because they will then be able to patent it and then we won't be able to "do it" without a prescription. Hey, that's not to bad for a new rant.

Accessing mindfulness as a tool employed in times of stress = nice little hits

Going towards mindfulness across time and conditions = much bigger hits.

The words don't quite get it but hopefully it convey a sense of what I am saying.

Tim

Tim Hodgens said...

Vinekeeper,

Comment 1: Re: "This reminds me of the trap we all tend to step in when we set about to make a living and a career before we set about simply making a life."

A thought based on part of my life experience: for me there is an age differential: when I was in early adulthood (well for me that was about 40, but we'll say in my early 20's) I set about simply making a life.

Now, gulp, a few years later, I find myself setting about making a simple life. Small rearrangement of word insertion, but HUGH reality difference to me.

Tim Hodgens said...

Vinekeeper,

Comment 2: Re: "Tim, I savor your question ...

"How to help people to wake up to how they're being manipulated and then, having awakened them, what to do about it?"

People may be about to wake up (let's pretend for just now). What WOULD one do about it if they did?

OK ... people are awake. NOW what?"

Jeez Louise, I was kinda hopin' you had the map and the lunch...

Here's my first take on it: then they will recognize that it is a whole new world and then they will recognize that it is the same old world.

Second thought: Goes back to Laura's comment or was it my comment to her comment - that signs are just signs...they may point out a path or a direction but they do not supply the sustained oomph. But the sign which connects to something that we deeply resonate to and which we keep that resonation going creates a mind space / image into which we can walk and then tap into that image energy and transform it into (further (real) stuff. (E = MC2)

Tim

Malcolm said...

Just love the clarity of your "basic introduction" - I needed a reminder as, unfortunately I'm one of those people for whom attentiveness is too easily converted into distractedness. back in the early 70's Nyaponika Thera's pamphlet 'The Power of Mindfulness' (Wheel Publication 121/122, Kandy, Ceylon) made quite an impact on me but, regrettably I let my practise of mindfulness slip.

Kristen S. Boyesen said...

I haven't been here in awhile. Great discussions! I have found mindfulness to be easiest and very beneficial while driving.

Divided attention. Part of me acutely aware of traffic; the other part being present, consciously relaxed, joyfully breathing in the energy and universal love of the universe and sending it out to all the other drivers.

Mostly no radio, music, or other distractions. Just divided attention. I can drive all day this way and will arrive energized rather than tired.

Tim Hodgens said...

Hi Kristen,

Good to hear from you.

Divided attention usually backfires into multitasking but you may have identified one context where it can be beneficial.

I recently have seen this in a former combat soldier. Acutely aware of what's going on around him, in a vigilant and relaxed manner.

Tim

prin said...

I hope you don't mind but I posted about your blog on mine today and also included the steps. That's how much your words affected me. :) Thanks!

Tim Hodgens said...

Prin,

Thanks for stopping by and I am pleased that you put the guidelines up on your blog.

I'm also glad that you were affected by the words and the practise. It always amazes me how, if we stay clear and attentive, that pertinent information is presented in a timely manner.

One of these days I have to track down a common usage copyright rider for my blog, but first I'd have to - what? find it or let it come to me?

Tim

arcolaura said...

Tim - regarding copyright - have you seen Creative Commons?

Mark Foote said...

Hi, all,
lots of good thoughts here... I came to the blog because of the title, I was trying to make sure that google had the current address for one of my pages and so I googled "waking up falling asleep". & there you are, Tim!
I thought you might like my page, which you can find at "www.zenmudra.com/wakingupcss.html". My conclusion is that waking up and falling asleep rely on the same mechanism, which is a coordination between the involuntary respirations (talking about pulmonary and cranial-sacral)and the sense of location in the spontaneous occurrence of consciousness. My take is that if I can allow my ability to feel my whole body to grow naturally and in cycles (as it does), I can discover a place of ease that relies on equanimity, and the attraction of that kind of happiness is inescapeable. So it's not so much an effort I make to be mindful, as a realization of the necessity to be well as it exists in this moment. That sounds pretty hifalutin, don't it! I can't tell you I'm a model of mindfulness, but I'm still learning to sit the lotus, and I believe anybody can; how's that for optimistic!
thanks for the good writes, everybody; yours Mark Foote