Friday, May 25, 2007

Rushing In My Dreams - Balancing Act?

In my last post I talked about procrastination.

During the week or two before writing that I became aware of several dreams in which I was rushing. There was no particular place that I was rushing to. No particular task to accomplish. Not running from anything. Just rushing. Just the feeling of pressure that comes from rushing.

It may have been related to the fact that I was procrastinating with those reports and that led to a feeling of "having to get something done." Maybe that's it; in my daytime consciousness I was doing a fairly good job of pushing the task out of my mind - and then in my sleep / dream time world, it shows up as the concrete abstraction (how's that for juxtaposing two words) of just plain rushing - without any specific content.

But another thought also occurred to me. That was that with any change there is an inevitable backlash which tries to re-establish the original state of affairs.

In my situation, I started this process when the words "I will rush no more" became my mantra by applying them in an ongoing, daily, and gradually expanding manner. The "ongoing" was important because to not do that it would just become another incomplete experiment in living and I've had enough of them already. The "daily" was important because that has a more cumulative power and helps to maintain momentum. An analogy would be with exercise. It's better to do some exercise every day than to save it up for extended periods of exercise every few weeks or so. As we all know that is the surest way to increase injuries and then that will set the person back even further.

And the "gradually expanding" was important because that both makes it real and that also makes it much more interesting and "alive."

I also wanted it to be gradual to forestall the inevitable backlash. The bigger the initial change, the more abrupt it is, and the more radical it is the bigger will be the pushback. It is as if the force of habit of the original lifestyle suffused with rushing and mindlessness and consumerism has a life of its own, and if you push hard, it will push back hard. Isn't that one of the basic laws of physics - every action has an equal and opposite reaction. It's not just physics. That's also life.

Another way of looking at this is that a person or a system tends to keep doing what it's doing unless it is acted on by an unbalanced force. (If all the forces are balanced, i.e., equally counteract each other, than the object / system will either remain stationary or will continue at it's same rate of speed and in the same direction it's headed.)

The strategy I adopted was to apply an unbalanced force combined with the principle that "the slow way is the fast way." You could call it a stealth approach the goal of which was to allow for change of very well ingrained habit clusters (lifestyle, society-style) by keeping the change beneath the radar so the pushback would be (almost) avoided.

To go back to the dreams now, I wondered if the mindless rushing in my dreams was a signal that "the old way" was "creeping" back in?

And then an interesting thing developed. When I made this connection, the dream sequence ceased ( - at least so far.) My further thought was that now the new system (I will rush no more) is well established and the pushback from the dreams (unfocused rushing) is a "threat" to the new and more prized system and therefore I / it wants to neutralize the potential resurgence of the old system.

Neat.

9 comments:

arcolaura said...

Tim - this sounds like an excellent approach. (Probably because it sounds like mine! grin) Have you read Eleutheros' series on homesteading, where he discusses several books about homesteaders' experiences, and the factors that contributed to their success or failure at true lifestyle change? If you go to his July 2006 archive and scroll down to "The Testimony of the Mad Free Man," you can read that post and then work your way back up through the series. It continues through his August and September archives too. Sometimes I think I should create an index site to make it easier for people to read his blog from beginning to end. That or ask him to label his posts. Anyway, he seems to advise going slow, working with what you have, and not trying to force a big change all at once.

Anonymous said...

You know as well as I do that
the mind is full of puns. :>

And they're not all, "funny ha, ha" types.

Take Care!
-P

Tim Hodgens said...

Laura,

Thanks for the comment.

I guess we're both in good company.

Eleutheros' blog is a gem. I went back and started reading his archives as you suggested, for July, 2006 and it voices similar observations on change from one who has been there in a big way.

I like his elaborations. The comments sections on some of his posts are as valuable as the posts themselves. He has thought things through well and constantly applies principle and practicality.

Reading him is like reading the Nearings all over again.

Go slow, (wo)mon...but go.

Tim

Tim Hodgens said...

Proxima,

A while back I was getting a cup of coffee and waiting to pay for it. There was a woman to my left, and the proprietor in front of me and behind the counter. (Imagine a counter with a right angle and you have the basic layout.)

The proprietor was flustered with the cash register. He gave me the impression that he was on the edge.

Now picture a chalk board off to his left. It was sitting on another counter and somewhat precariously perched against a wall. It had the daily menu written on it in chalk.

Out of the blue the chalk board fell and hit the ground with a resounding thud.

He jumped.

I said: "It's a sign."

We all stood there and about 10 seconds the woman and I both let out a big knowing smile.

My mind got it immediately. "Me" took a bit longer.

The proprietor needed to "get it" but sadly I don't think he did.

Tim

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha! Funny Tim. You silly gander!

-P

Steve Williams said...

I am familar with the pressure of rushing. For many years it was a constant companion and is now merely chained but not vanquished. I have to live with it near but don't have befriend it.

Riding my Vespa is like anti-rushing. Part of the decision of a scooter versus a motorcycle was a diminishment of the possibility of rushing available on a vehicle that will travel quite fast.

The riding I do is relaxed and aware. A potent reminder of what life can be.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Tim Hodgens said...

Steve,

Relaxed and aware...yes!

That's a great combination. It captures mindFULLness. It allows for savoring.

Being a passenger seems to free you up from the more basic tasks of balancing and tuning in but in doing so it blocks you from savoring.

Maybe a convertible captures some of that but speed kills.

An open air cockpit in a biplane gets closer.

But the scooter gets closer still.

Riding my bike gets even closer.

Walking gets even closer.

Sitting in my back yard - ahhh.

Tim

Steve Williams said...

Tim,

I commuted to work on a bicycle for a long time as well as go on a lot of leisure rides. As good as it was for my physical well-being I was never able to get past the physical exertion to be as in touch with the world as I can on the Vespa.

Riding the scooter is activity but not exercise so it is a step backward healthwise I guess but I have found nothing like it for being in touch with the world.

I hestitated for a moment and was going to say walking but when I walk my mind becomes absorbed in thoughts of one sort or another. Riding demands that I focus on the physical world and through the focus the world reveals itself.

It is the secret and unlooked for gift I have found riding.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Tim Hodgens said...

Steve,

So many facets to the life of experience.

You read them so well.

Tim