Thursday, April 12, 2007

Of Dreams And Birds

(Prewords: Over the past 3 weeks I have written several drafts (variously titled: Gradual Change; Reversing Reversals; Depression as Ground Fog; Some Thoughts on Peace of Mind and Restlessness) for blog entries but have held back on posting them. The topics are in themselves worthy and may eventually be published. But it's like something was holding me back. I was waiting for something that was more spontaneous, something with a bit more "oomph" feeling to it. I think it was also related to not wanting to "have to" get another entry up.)

I've been very active in the nightime dream department in the past several weeks. It may be related to coming out of that stormy place I was in a few posts back and, in my mind now, it may be connected to a series of posts by Proxima (entries dated 3/23, 3/24, and 3/27/07) about dreams. I also had a person ask me about what I thought about dreams a few weeks back and that may have stirred the pot somewhat.

Bird Dream #1: (Three weeks ago) I'm driving along minding my own business and a big black bird flies into my car and perches directly on top of my head. I'm aware that there is not much room up there for the bird so I scrunch my head down into my shoulders to create more space for it. Initially there was some fear but then it was mostly just trying to create space for "the addition." It could have been a crow or a raven.

Bird Dream #2: (Last night) I'm walking up into a mountain range. I am then aware of a very large flock of birds swirling above me. They do their aerial dance gracefully. I am then in a more forested area and there, on a low lying branch, is a great snowy white owl. No movement; just perched there.

The dreams had things happening before and after the appearance of the birds, but those two birds is what stands out in my mind. Each one on its own would have pulled my attention, but the two of them, even though separated by approximately 3 weeks of external time, really caught my attention.

Hmmm...why birds? One while driving, and one while walking - an issue of movement? One jet black and the other pure white. One moved and the other is stationary. As they say, it just gets "curiouser and curiouser."

--

Some further context of what's going on in my life recently:

1. I've been thinking again about psychotherapy and healing. We tend to organize our lives around extensive habit-clusters. If those habit-clusters are working well for us then it is often best to leave well-enough alone. If, however, they are persistent and seem to work against our best interests, then it may be a good idea to find a strategy to shift away from them and towards a better and more wholesome habit-cluster "seed." The task then would be to put energy into that new "seed" and let that expand and develop through latency towards its own potentials.

That process has much to recommend it and it goes towards the idea of healing - the process of making whole again by dealing with the original imbalances either directly or through changing the down-the-road-consequences by offering workable alternatives. But there is a further sense of healing which in a sense takes us out of the drivers seat and opens us to input from outside. In that sense, there is an opening, a cultivation of the sense of receptivity coupled with a seeing what is as clearly as possible - without the filters. In that way, we are still in the drivers seat but there is a another source of input from "on top."

2. I have been reminded in the past several weeks of something I have been aware of previously, namely, that information is being "presented" to me often. By this, I mean that I'll be just doing my thing, whatever that is that day, and something will catch my awareness: I'll hear a quote, hear a story, see a picture, have a flash of partial insight, etc. Then later in the day I will be working with someone, or talking with someone, and they will say something which gives me an opportunity to relate the earlier experience.

It's like I'm presented with a key (the information) and it takes a while for the lock (the situation in the conversation which is a puzzler) which responds to the key to make its appearance. It's very curious, but sometimes it's as if it's an only-to-be-used-one-time key. When I see these connections, then it gives me more motivation to stay aware to what is being presented and to not press for any interpretation. At those times my only effort is to set the intent to be receptive and to see / hear clearly. This process feels "non-linear" and is just available "for the picking." It appears to me as a larger process and contains a certain wonder. It invites a "deepening" rather than a "doing" but they are both there.

3. After I was up this morning I scribbled the following 2 comments based on the dreams:

A. Accept that it's all inside - the positive and the negative - and then choose your directions and intents and expressions.

B. The way we organize our history is in the service of "the winner" ... (it's not just with world history) ... the ego - it's mostly fiction - one way (of many possibilities) - just what is happening - period.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very cool post Tim! Thank you for the acknowledgement by the way.

I'm impressed that you didn't let the image of the Black bird frighten you, and in fact you did the opposite by trying to accommodate it. They are often viewed by several cultures as a sign of impending death or doom, but that doesn't always make it so.

In the Celtic pagan philosophy it represents death or war ("Morrigan"), so too do Owls represent death and doom, but also wisdom and prosperity for their association as companions to goddesses.

The truly eery part, is that I too have been thinking about these two birds and even have a beautiful white barn owl as my current desktop picture.

They do not worry me, but then I don't believe death is an end. And even if there be a battle, as you say you are struggling with many things right now, this does not have to be a bad thing either.

We struggle so we can survive and thrive. The birds are representations nonetheless, I don't think you have to worry about a literal battle or a literal death anytime soon. :)

Thank you for sharing!

-P with 2 cents worth

Tim Hodgens said...

Proxima,

Thanks for your comment and input.

If I can split a hair, I don't see it so much that I'm struggling but rather that I am grappling with things.

To me, struggle infers being caught in something and perhaps using energy and resources inadvisedly.

Grappling, on the other hand, and for me, implies a hands-on involvement, up close and personal. You can walk away from grappling. But for me there is that active choice to go back into the arena - to learn something, to discover something.

I might expand on this at some point. It is hinted at in the first paragraph where I mentioned a topic: peace of mind and restlessness. I have experienced both and have come to see them as two sides of the journey.

On a different theme, I have always valued Castenada's comment attributed to his teacher, Don Juan.

Carlos asked: "How can a person learn to become impeccable in their thoughts and actions."

Don Juan responded: "By having death as your ally."

I believe he then went on in his highly esoteric way to hold him (it?) over your left shoulder. And as I write, this my vague recollection is that death was represented by a bird.

In that sense "death" is consciously (strategically) held in proximate mind. And that powerful punctuation can help you / me to be present in powerful ways.

I am also reminded of a similar practise when one of my life teachers said one day: "today is a good day to die."

For those of you who may have anxiety about my health, etc., I can assure you that I am well, and am presently writing this, and I continue to let that proximate awareness assist me as my ally.

Uncertainty is a fact of life.

Live well.

Tim

Anonymous said...

I am not worried about you at least. :> I wouldn't exactly call death a "friend" but him and I know where we stand.
-P

Tim Hodgens said...

Proxima,

The word that Castenada used was "ally." Interesting choice of words.

There's an old term term which refers to pneumonia as "the old man's friend." So many twists and turns, eh?

Tim

Helen said...

I have dreams involving birds, especially flocks of birds, from time to time. This one in particular parallels yours interestingly:
http://triangularsun.blogspot.com/2008/06/traum.html
I always think it's a positive sign when I dream of birds, even when it feels ominous; I think it's to do with change.

Tim Hodgens said...

Helen,

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Dreams can be such fun and sometimes so scary; sometimes both.

Curious title for your post. "Traum" = traumatic for short??

After I read your dream several times, the following came to me: perhaps Helen is being invited to find or earn her wings.

Tim

p.s. Several days ago I met a man and a woman from Australia in a local book store (Tatnuck Book Store). I enjoyed the conversation with both. Could it be that you are that woman. If not, just curious, but how did you come to my blog?

p.p.s. I also left a message at your post on your blog.