Sunday, September 28, 2008

Being and Doing

Except for the past three posts I have been inactive on this blog. I'd like to let you in on a little of where I have been during those intervening months.

It all started several months ago in the depths of Winter. I was really enjoying hunkering down and staying in the cave and close to the fire. I'd be doing this and that but mostly it was a time for going within, for delving, for conserving. It wasn't the time for projects.

Then when the winter ended I started my second year of work on my vegetable garden and enjoyed the planning, building the frames, building the raised beds, enhancing the soil, and finally planting the seeds. At the same time, however, I didn't feel the urge to start writing again. It's as if my body was moving forward and my mind was active, but my spirit was still taking its own sweet time coming out of winter's cocoon.

I was reflecting on my ongoing pattern of moving between periods of activity and inactivity. In the past it would be like feeling stuck to be followed by a burst of energy which would focus on one activity or another. Sometimes those times would be brief, sometimes prolonged. After the activity I would sometimes just drag myself home to collapse, as it were, and wonder where I had been and what I had done.

But this winter I reflected more thoughtfully on that pattern and came to describe it more as being followed by doing followed by being. You can see how mindfulness can be present in both sides of that coin, and when it is there, it enhances the entire process; it makes it more present and real. The activities were sometimes purposive in a goal directed way across time, oftentimes for many years at a stretch,sometimes just a latest flash in the pan.

In the past I would be upset with the not-doing part of the cycle. Now I'm more comfortable with experiencing it as being in a space where listening is more prominent. I used to want to be pulled towards something but now it doesn't seem as important; it will happen when it happens and in its own time. Of course during either end of the dance there are certain things which have to be done of a maintenance nature but the bigger pattern is with the flowing from poised within to the directing outwardly and then the return.

It is in this context that I started thinking (for the umpteenth time) about purpose. In mid-August I was again wondering / asking what was holding me back, what the blockage was, and out of the silence came an awareness - that I do not have a central unifying principle which could give me a focal point, something which would give me a way of looking at, comparing, exploring, analyzing, experiences, events, ideas, perceptions, etc.

On reflection I came to see that the "blind spot," "the incompletion" has been there all along, certainly during my entire adult life. I have taken on others perceptions, etc., but never my own "something unique to me" (at least in a visceral way of experiencing) manner. It might be described as what my "beat" is.

In spite of this, I have been aware of hard earned lessons over the decades. Each of these learnings has been vital for my overall growth and they have served as course corrections; pivotal in fact. As these things go, they mostly came out of my own pain which in turn was coming from a wrong minded perception of how the world was or how it was supposed to be. Heroes are flawed; They have their own agendas and your best interest is not central if it does not support their agenda; a sense of power which comes from someone else, or a group, is, or can be, fundamentally manipulative; I claim the right to make mistakes, but not repetitively; I will rush no more!

All of those learnings, and others, have helped to bring me back to a sense of self but they did not go to the central unifying principle. They have helped to prepare but they have not revealed that principle.

For example, The Good Life as espoused and written by the Nearing's led to exploration and discovery and as such has been an ongoing "project" - it could even shift into a lifetime project -but it is not the principle.

Let me say it again, the core statement of my life to date is that: I am lacking a central unifying principle.

At first this freightened me but then it excited me in the quest to open, to ask for, to decipher, to find, to become aware of that central theme. And along those lines, how have others discovered their purposes. Is it "given?" Is it discovered? Is it uncovered? Does it always happen?

Now when I think of my mantra "I will rush no more!" I see it as a tool, an attitude, a way of being and doing which also lays the foundation for freeing myself up.

To be continued.

7 comments:

Paul said...

Tim, I think I understand your experience but am not certain. It appears you are on the verge of something good. I'm looking forward for the continuation.

Tim Hodgens said...

Paul, I'd like to say it's all good, even the not so good parts (provided I can course correct and learn the lessons) and some seems better than others.

There's so much truth and wisdom in the saying that you have to take the good with the bad. There's a lot of "wishery" in our part of the world and see where that has led us collectively.

As always thanks for your input. And yes I am also looking forward to the continuation...

Tim

MojoMan said...

Tim, If I understand what you're saying, I very often have the same feeling. Of course, I have the usual purposes in my life: a loving family, the need to make a living, a home to care for, but so much of what I do are responses to external influences and simply habit. Routine is comfortable. But every so often, maybe too often, I hear a little voice telling me that I missed my true destiny and I've been wandering aimlessly ever since. I usually assume the voice means I missed the right career path and I should be much more content, rewarded and fulfilled in my work, but who knows? Maybe it means something else entirely. One of the things that led me into blogging was the desire to listen to the voice, hear what it tells me and find a way to to discover more about who I really am. I haven't come up with much yet, except maybe this: I want to search my soul for just one or two things that I truly and deeply want - something I want, not something that's expected of me - and find a way to make it happen. (I try not to focus on how the hour is getting late. (I'm 55.) That gets depressing.) (I'm sure to many this sounds like just another mid-life crisis, but it's MY crisis!)

Anyway, like Paul, I look forward to your thought process. Al.

Paul said...

Tim and Mojoman,

This is becoming more interesting. Each of us must walk his own path but it sometimes seems like we're on the same path.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to say "Hello"!

After all that analysis, I think your inner child deserves some ice cream! :)

I am so looking forward to getting back to my writing this Fall/Winter. It is the season for such a process I think. Having to wait all this last year to catch up on yardwork and home repairs for this coming winter, makes the time coming to write feel like a reward. Delayed gratification, my favorite!



Take Care,
Prx

arcolaura said...

Would this be similar to trying to identify one's ideal? Garth leaves books and magazines from the A.R.E. (organization continuing the work of psychic Edgar Cayce) lying around, and I have read articles in them suggesting that one's ideal is most effective if stated in one word. Some examples I have seen are "peace" or "helping others." I have been thinking of something along the lines of "courage to will," but I suspect that may be more of a life lesson than an ideal; more of a stepping stone than a destination. I am also struggling with numerous obligations and a couple of tantalizing major project ideas (root shift, and a research project concerning breast cancer), and I keep trying to find a little more guidance from intuition or synchronicity or wise elders, but then I wonder if part of the "courage to will" lesson is that I need to go ahead and choose for myself.

Looking forward to reading of the next steps in your journey.

Anonymous said...

Tim, good to hear from you! I have found that the past few months have been a time for reflection and "hunkering down."

I look forward to hearing more of your journey.

Yes, I have a new blog. :)

Emme